Thursday, September 27, 2007
I have some sketches still to scan in, but for now here's a logo I did for my Grammy. In her eighties and still entrepreneurial, she starting a new candle business, so I did her logo. It's a stamp that goes onto recycled card boxes that hold four votives. All natural, made from soy/wax extract with paper wicks.
I hope I'm still trying to do new stuff when I'm that age!
Friday, September 14, 2007
So, I ran out of ideas on my to do list; I did them all. So, I gonna start with that Hellboy, which is actually the last on the list. So I made a new list! Here's a few scans from my sketchbook, Cap in a gladiator pose, shield and flag pole, which I'll try to convey as a spear. Group shot of the Fantastic Four, and Wolverine bursting out of the head of a Sentinel. You can see how crappily drawn they all start out!
While I'm at it, I'll start doing some DC characters as well. I have a three page Robin sequence that I'll reimagine in the animated style, probably do a Superman, and I'll find some other weird character, Lobo maybe.
So is that the new list!?!
Yikes, that's enough for now.
All that being said, I'm leaving for 10 days, to hang out with my BFF and our wives in Europe. So I have about 20 hours of flight time to doodle these all up in my sketchbook. So I should have character designs and layouts locked in when I get back. And wie, probably an Eiffel Tower drawing as well.
Thursday, September 13, 2007
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
OK, here's a couple, a ship, and a more integrated piece; a proton pack. They work fairly well, I got what I wanted out of the practice. They're kind of small, both about 7 inches at the longest point, but that was also part of the test this time around. Now on to the last test, a nature scene of some sort.
Monday, September 10, 2007
Thursday, September 6, 2007
Wednesday, September 5, 2007
Can you spot the mistake? Damn. Half the mission failed already. I had slight overspray sneak beneath the mask...and then I tried to fix it, and now it is no more. Crop time. It's a bummer, that railing came out just right too. On the other hand, the skin texture came out the way I wanted it, so half the mission continues.
Tuesday, September 4, 2007
This is the worst part of the process for me. Everything is stark and flat, the colors seem like they don't match well, there's no focal point in the panel; this is the point where I doubt myself. Then I lay in the shading, and almost every time it ties it all together, no worries after all! So on to that part next!
Monday, September 3, 2007
In continuing the exploration of the Drew Technique, here's the next one; the focus on this test being skin tones and integrating background/foreground elements - no hippie-esque tie-die McSparklefest background this time. Airbrushed version next...